Labneh Mermaid Toast with Allsorts
Serves 6 | Preparation time: 15 min, plus time overnight for the labneh
- Thick buttermilk 500ml
- Sea salt 5ml
- Beetroot 250g
- Baguette 1
- Olive oil 4 tbsp
- Six mini avocado, halved
- Cucumber, diced 100g
- Baby marrow noodles 100g
- Smoked trout 90g
- Radish, thinly sliced 30g
- Radish sprouts 10g
- Edible gold leaf
- Sumac to taste
- Place the buttermilk in a double layer muslin cloth (a clean pair of stockings also work) and secure the ends with a piece of string about 10cm from the top.
Hang in your windowsill overnight, with a bowl underneath.
- Boil the beetroot in salted water until tender and pop them out of their skins, reserving the cooking water.
- Next, slice the baguette into 1cm thick slices and place on a baking tray. Drizzle with half the olive oil and sea salt and toast in a preheated oven of 180∞C until golden.
- Spread a little of the labneh on the toast. Now place another dollop of the labneh on the right hand side of the toast and add a couple drops of the beetroot cooking water. Use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture over the rest of the toast to create “waves”.
- Arrange the rest of the ingredients on the toasts and top with the radish, sprouts, gold leaf and a sprinkle of sumac. Drizzle with more olive oil and serve.