Warwick First Lady Cabernet Sauvignon Braised Brisket with Ultimate Sides
Serves 8 | Preparation time 20 minutes | Cooking time 45 minutes, plus cooking time for the brisket
For the brisket:
- Beef brisket 2kg
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Warwick First Lady Cabernet Sauvignon 1 cup
- Good quality light beef stock 3 cups
- Red onion 2, cut into quarters
- Garlic bulb 1 cut into half
- Fennel bulb 1, cut into quarters
- Celery stick 4, roughly chopped
- Carrots 3, roughly chopped
- Tomatoes 4, roughly chopped
- Star anise 4
- Cinnamon sticks 2
- Cloves 3
- Coriander seeds 10
- Black peppercorns 10
For the butternut pasta with burnt sage butter:
- Butternut 1 large one
- Olive oil
- Cumin seeds 1 tbsp
- Smoked paprika ½ tsp
- Cream ½ cup
- Pasta 2 cups
- Butter 1 cup
- Sage large handful
- Garlic 2 cloves, finely grated
- Juice of one lemon
- Goat’s milk feta 200g
- Pumpkin seeds ¼ cup, toasted
For the aubergine and yogurt dip
- Green peppers 3
- Yogurt 2 cups
- Cream cheese 1 cup
- Parsley, coriander, basil 2 tbsp, roughly chopped
- Watercress small handful
For the pineapple
- Pineapples 2 cut into 8 pieces
- Zest of two limes
- Bird’s Eye chillies 2, finely chopped
- Fish sauce 1 tbsp
- Brown sugar 1 tsp
- Start the brisket by seasoning it with salt and pepper all over. Place in an oven proof dish and add the rest of the ingredients. Place, covered, in a preheated oven of 160∞C for 6 hours, or until tender (or in a Weber).
- Finish off over hot coals, until nicely browned.
- Make the butternut sauce by placing the vegetable on a piece of tinfoil and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and add the spices. Tightly wrap the butternut and place in medium coals for an hour, or until soft.
- Scoop out the flesh and mash in a small bowl. Add the cream and check your seasoning.
- Cook the pasta in salted, boiling water until al dente and drain. While that is boiling, melt the butter in a small saucepan, together with the sage, over medium heat until brown. Add the garlic and quickly stir through. Add the lemon juice and set aside.
- Toss the pasta through the butternut sauce, drizzle with the burnt butter and add the feta and pumpkin seeds.
- For the yogurt dip, toss the green peppers in a little olive oil and season with sea salt. Place over hot coals until charred on all sides. Remove from the heat and place in an airtight container to sweat a little. Remove the skins and tear into pieces.
- Mix the yogurt and cream cheese together and stir the peppers and herbs. Top with the watercress.
- Lastly, place the pineapple onto a platter and sprinkle with the lemon zest and chilli. Mix the 1 tbsp olive oil, the fish sauce and sugar together. Spoon over the pineapple.
- Slice up the brisket, garnishing with fennel ribbons. Serve with the sides and a glass of Warwick First Lady Cabernet Sauvignon.