“For me, being a mother made me a better professional, because coming home every night to my girls reminded me what I was working for. And being a professional made me a better mother because by pursuing my dreams, I was modelling for my girls how to pursue their dreams.” – Michelle Obama
South Africa’s working moms have perfected the art of planning, organising and finding the right balance between profession and parenthood. Mom’s that balance family and a career set a shining example for their children about the possibilities of chasing and achieving your dreams while raising a family.
Dr Aisha Pandor, CEO of SweepSouth says that over 80% of SweepStars are mothers. “Raising children while simultaneously working a full-time job is not for the faint of heart! Only mothers know the intricacies of the daily juggle and the importance of feeling secure and happy in your role at work. At SweepSouth, it’s not just a job – it’s a chance for the SweepStars to upskill themselves and invest in the future of their children and families.”
So what are these mom’s doing to balance it all? What’s the secret? We’ve listed ten lessons we could learn from the working moms of today:
- Time is your biggest asset, use every minute productively – whether it be at work, or taking a minute for yourself
- Be kind and have empathy. Always give first, and generously. In the end, we gain more than we give
- Work ethic is everything. Use your time at work effectively and productively.
- Every situation is a learning opportunity, for your kids and for you
- Work hard, play hard and never pass up a chance to have fun with family and friends
- Multitasking is a learned skill
- Making mistakes is human, people fail. So expect failure, forgive, learn from it, and grow stronger through adversity
- Never make decisions when you are angry, at home and at work
- Be financially savvy: you’re in charge of your own financial destiny
- Mom ALWAYS knows best